The snow’s coming down pretty hard, nearly everything is cancelled for today and we can’t go anywhere…which means a long and leisurely brunch chez Thiry.
Homemade chocolate chip pancakes are the perfect blizzard brunch comfort food. I’ve posted my pancake mix recipe elsewhere before, but I thought I’d post it again now in case you too are stuck at home today and need a brunch suggestion. Heck, chocolate chip pancakes are even perfectly acceptable for dinner, in my opinion.
Sunshine’s Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
- 6 c whole wheat flour (use white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour if desired)
- 3/4 c sugar (but I use a little less)
- 2 T baking powder
- 1 T baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl; mix very thoroughly.
- Store in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator.
- To make pancakes: whisk together 1 cup of mix, 3/4 milk, and 1 egg. Heat griddle to 375 degrees F. Use 1/3 c batter. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or drop in some blueberries if desired. Makes about 5 pancakes.
Not everyone needs all those carbohydrates, though. Personally, I’m skipping the pancakes and having a slice of frittata instead:
- 8 eggs
- 2 T half-and-half
- 1 c grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese (really any cheese will work), divided
- 3-4 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/4 c sliced fresh green onion
- 1/2 c garden salsa (homemade is nice, but Pace or some other brand is fine too)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs and half-and-half with a wire whisk in medium bowl. Stir in salsa, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the crumbled bacon and the green onion.
- Pour into greased 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.